Friday, December 5, 2014

Starting my Christmas cards 2014

I've been working on Christmas cards, I have just under half of them done, may do even more than I did last year, not sure yet.... anyhoo, this year I decided on a theme, our local birds, my criteria is they need to be colorful and easy for me to do, I would love to do crazy quail or a roadrunner, but those birds have a speckled pattern, mostly with white speckles, something I don't feel comfortable tackling now.

So far the birds I have painted are tufted titmouse, scarlet tanager, acorn woodpecker, Scott's oriole, and white breasted nuthatch.

I am using the Derwent Inktense pencils and blocks, I lightly sketch out the bird in pencil, then painted in the color. The paper is just plain old white 8.5x11 cardstock. I'll add the name of the bird and my signature on the front of the card, I'll write the sentiment on the inside and give them out, this way if the receiver wishes to, they can frame it.

I am having a really good time doing it. Here are the ones I have so far:
acorn woodpecker

scarlet tanager

scarlet tanager

white breasted nuthatch

tufted titmouse

scarlet tanager

Scott's oriole

Scott's oriole

white breasted nuthatch

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments but not spam, all comments are moderated, the majority will be approved, spam will be deleted, repeat offenders will be dipped in molasses...