Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Doodle #1, The First One Is The Hardest...

Well, after some fussing over the name of this blog, this became West Texas Doodle Blog (as opposed to West Texas Doodle Bug)... thanks to my friends over at FaceBook for helping me to decide...

So if you are here reading this, first I want to welcome you here, and warn you, the look of this blog is liable to change, morph, grow, so if you come back and find a new look, rest assured you are at the right place.

A little about myself, I'm knocking on 50, not there yet, but closer to 50 than I am to 40... I am a wife, mom, grandmother... I had an "interesting" life, in some cultures that is considered a curse, to me it is just who I am. I am an artist who loves music, or a musician who loves art? I think it's all entwined, the DNA in my body is full of art and music. I thank God for giving me these gifts, without Him all of this would be worthless, with Him all of this is priceless.

I recently got back into drawing a few months ago after taking a 20 something year hiatus. I began feeling that "itch" that all artist understand, I've ignored that itch quite well over the years, not because I wanted to, but because I didn't feel like I had the time or space to devote to it.

Now I have lots more time, even though I think I'm busier than ever, I'm living a different life, and there is room for art now! Where I live, I am surrounded by some very talented artists, that coupled with the great views where I live, I can't help but be inspired to take up this soothing yet invigorating craft.

I enjoy working in color, I have worked in oils (didn't care for that), acrylic and watercolor, I have started playing around with Crayola crayons and have had some successes with that medium. I am also playing around with something referred to as Zentangle or Zendoodle. It's an advanced method of doodling, somewhat structured yet still doodling, I like it in B&W as well as color.

I'll be posting my work as I get more of it done, I'll also post some WIPs (work in progress) as there are always WIPs going on... I'll also post some of my past works, I always enjoy seeing the progress of other artists, so I'll give you the same opportunity to see what I have done...

I have some decent pen liners to do some Zentangles now, it's amazing what good tools can do, I think I'll create the goal of doing one Zentangle or doodle a day and posting it, no guarantees though, I'll do my best and here is the first one.

Yup, this is it, it's messy, it's imperfect, but it was fun! I'll have another one to post soon. Oh and in defense of the messiness of this one, I did it in semi-darkness, I don't have a good light near my computer area, during the day I have lots of light but if I work at night, which is when I often work, well lets just say it's not as easy to do more precise work in low lighting situations. I am also trying to decide if I want to do more freehand works (like this one) or try to use tools to make more precise lines, such as rulers, templates and such. I'm still learning and having fun, I also want to develop my own style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments but not spam, all comments are moderated, the majority will be approved, spam will be deleted, repeat offenders will be dipped in molasses...